My Quaint DECstation 3100
'Diablo' is my DECstation 3100. It's hooked up to my LAN through a
10baseT transceiver to the AUI port. However, it's usually turned off,
this thing is slower than a space heater - pretty much every single one of
my PCs are faster than this machine.
DEC Storage Expansion Unit
- 16.6MHz MIPS2000A CPU PGA (KN01 board, version 7.0)
- 24MB RAM
- Color Frame Buffer with 1M
- SII SCSI1 Host Adaptor (ID:7) (Note: all SCSI IDs are subject to change, including the host adaptor via f/w!)
Internal Apple/Quantum Lightning Prodrive 730S 700MB 3.5" disk (ID:0)
- Internal Seagate Barracuda ST34572N 4GB 3.5" disk (ID:0)
- NetBSD 1.6.2 Operating System with X11R6.3
- It was a mess to install, but it works well after fixing the latest
bug. There was a sii (SCSI) bug causing random crashes in NetBSD 1.2.
- Required Ultrix to make it a bit easier, partitioning was the hard part.
Suggestion: Play with/install NetBSD/i386 first on a PC, use it to prepare
- Dumping the broken 1.2 miniroot was a mess. Use the 1.1 if you wish, and
hopefully a new 1.2D will come out with a working miniroot.
- NetBSD 1.6.2's cdrom boots and allows direct install! Boots fine on my
Pioneer CDROM but not my Yamaha...
Yamaha CRW-8424S 8x/4x/24x Ultra Narrow SCSI External CDRW (ID:5)
Exabyte 8205 8mm 2GB SCSI1 half height tape drive
SCSI Expansion Bay
- one Full Height DEC RZ56 (634M) NetBSD 1.2d SCSI1-CCS (ID:1)
- Full Height DEC RZ55 (320M) SCSI1-CCS (ID:2)
DEC 15" Color VR160-DA Monitor, Made by Hitachi/Japan
DEC External RZ56 hard drive (634M) Ultrix 4.4
- Exabyte 8200 8mm 2 GB SCSI1 (ID:3) full height tape drive
- Pioneer DR-U24X 24x SCSI2 CDROM (ID:4)
- Wangtek 5525ES QIC02 Tape Drive SCSI1 (ID:6)
- Ultrix 4.4 Operating System with X11R5
- SMB(Samba) Server
- HTTPd(Apache) Server
- AFSd Client